You might want to read this email while standing up. Or perhaps while taking the stairs at work or walking to lunch. Why? Because it’s possible to extend your exercise regime daily beyond your scheduled BodyTech Gym workouts.
The truth is, there’s now a huge body of evidence that clearly shows that short bursts of activity can be as effective at counterbalancing the negative effects of our increasingly sedentary lifestyles as longer periods of continuous activity.
So if you do spend a lot of your work life sitting down, here are some ways to incorporate the power of HIIT throughout your day:
- make a concerted effort to walk 10,000 steps a day (that’s equivalent to 5-6 kms) and supercharge your efforts by incorporating short burst intervals of fast walking.
- whenever you move between floors at work, power up the stairs instead of using the lift
- go see a colleague instead of sending an email
- take your less formal meetings outside on a stroll
- super-hydrate yourself with 2-3 litres of water a day. It’ll not only facilitate fat loss and subdue hunger, but also keep you out of your chair with more frequent bathroom breaks
- turn your coffee break into a short stroll by sipping it in a takeaway cup
- get off the bus or train at an earlier stop and walk the rest of the way to work
- do HIIT with your pet while taking them on their routine walks. Who knows, they may even shed a few extra kgs too!
There are numerous opportunities to incorporate the principles of HIT into your work and home routines. It just takes a little thought and effort.